TUFLOW Forum

What does "ERROR 0408 - End of .dbf file encountered whilst reading record" actually mean and how can I fix it / avoid it happening everytime I edit my shape file?

Its driving me to distraction!

Claire

Hi Claire,

The end of .dbf file encountered whilst reading record indicates that TUFLOW has tried to read a field from the shapefile database format, and there is no such field in the file (or the field contains incorrect data). For example, text data is stored in a numeric field. What software are you using for creating and modifying your shapefiles?

I assume the file is in the correct TUFLOW format (from a empty / template file).

Regards

Phillip

Claire,

I have had similar problems when using QGIS. TUFLOW is frequently unable to read the dbf file. The model will be working fine, I will make a small GIS edit (moving a vertex for instance) and then TUFLOW will throw up the same error as you are having. Checking the dbf manually shows the data to be correctly formatted, however the only way I have found a way round this is by re-saving the file with a different name.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback, we'll look into this. If using QGIS you can also save the file in MapInfo format, the .mif/.mid files are plain text and a much easier to see what might be causing an issue.

Regards

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

Yes I'm using QGIS, as Matt says I've got around it by saving as a new shape file but after a while this stops working too (hence my dispair on Friday). I have resorted to saving the file out as a mif and without any alteration to the file the model runs fine.

Whilst investigating shape file errors it worth noting I've had Error 0423 and Error 0425 on shape files edited using QGIS.

Claire