TUFLOW Forum
Tyrone.Thomas

Modelling arch culverts with curved bottom corners

Hi TUFLOW family,

I have a question regarding modelling older arch culverts in TUFLOW where the bottom of the culvert contains curved edges (see attached image).

For the culvert I'm currently trying to model, when I include the curved sections in the the required HW table, TUFLOW throws the following error: https://wiki.tuflow.com/index.php?title=TUFLOW_Message_1343. To get around this, I made the sides completely straight - and that worked fine, but I'm concerned that the flow through the culvert may now be overestimated.

Modelling the culvert this way (as an irregular culverts in a 1d_nwk layer) obviously has constraints when H values don't always increase.

Does anyone have a solution to a way around this problem? Given there are a lot of historical 'arch' culverts around Australia, this may be a limitation if the curved sections cannot be modelled.

image.png.95f818af11f4f4bfcbce80e16542c1e5.png

Hi there!

Do you still have your original .csv describing the shape with the curves at the base? I don't see why it wouldn't work, so I'd be curious to see what you were working with and whether I can figure it out. ^_^

Peter.

19 minutes ago, peteraylett said:

Hi there!

Do you still have your original .csv describing the shape with the curves at the base? I don't see why it wouldn't work, so I'd be curious to see what you were working with and whether I can figure it out. ^_^

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I've attached the csv I'm using below - if you work it out, that would be extremely helpful!Arch_culvert.csv

Cheers!

Hi again,

Ok, so you've fallen into one of TUFLOWs traps for the unwary/inexperienced. The specification required in the .csv is literally how far up the pipe you are against how wide it is; you don't tell TUFLOW where both sides are, just how wide it is for a bunch of heights. See the figure attached; there's a blue arrow (height) there for every red arrow (width) and that's all TUFLOW wants. Critically, this also needs to be in ascending order (which is what that error you referenced is checking for).

I've taken your spreadsheet and done a quick conversion of it to the right format, albeit it's got a bit less detail than you started with where your elevations didn't pair up. Probably close enough for modelling! See other attachment.

I hope that makes sense. Any questions, just come back again!

All the best,

Peter.

PS. For reference, your data also ha the 'how far accross' data in the 'H' column, and the 'how far up' data in the 'W' column, which is backwards.

image.png

Arch_culvert_2.xls