TUFLOW Forum
O-Dogs

Transfer of 2D cell flows into a 1D node

Hi all,

Is there a way I can transfer 2D flows from say within a polygon to another cell or even 1D node? 

Thanks 

The big question is, what is it that would govern the transfer of flow from the one place to another?

Passing flows from a 2D cell to a 1D node would normally be done using an HX or SX boundary, and which you'd use would depend upon what you've got going on. An SX boundary can draw water from (or pass water into) an area, if that's appropriate.

Probably transferring water from an area of 2D to another area of 2D would also be done via a 1D network of some sort (making the starting assumption that it's not a 2D flow route between the two or you wouldn't be asking!), but again what you'd actually use would depend what was really going on.

I'm not sure the above is the most helpful answer I've ever given though; if you wanted to come back with a bit more detail I could try for something more specific!

PHA

PS. It's nice to see you on the forum again, it's been a while!

Peter, yes! thanks! You helped jog my memory.  I used the aforementioned application a lot a long time ago.  Drawing one 1d culvert line, then a SX line over multiple cells on the upstream and downstream ends.  A CN connection line would connect the 2d cells to flow into the culvert.

Hi,

I am trying to model a similar scenario wherein I'm trying to transfer 2D flows from polygons placed on roofs of the raised buildings in the DEM to a 1D pit (Q type) on the lower ground. Basically I was trying to replicate actual conditions wherein roof will drain into gutters, then discharge to the pit on the ground. 

The model has polygons (2d_bc, type SX) and lines (type CN) connecting the polygon's vertex to the 1D pit. Running the model, I'm getting a TUFLOW ERROR 2050 - Lowest ZC elevation at/along SX link is above 1D node bed.

Also tried using lines (2d_bc, type SX) along the cells of the roof gutters instead but I'm still getting the same error.

Is there a better way to model this?

Thanks!

Ezra

Hello everyone,

Not having access to the Jabber I would provide some feedback here.

Thanks Peter for your input. To add, virtual pipes could also be used to transfer water, same as pumps, it really depends what exactly are you trying to model and what data you have available.

For Ezra, a way how to model a rainfall falling on buildings without the 1D error or 2D waterfall like effect would be to use 2d_sa_rf layer and Read GIS SA RF command. You will digitise a small polygon for each building on the ground where you expect the rainfall from the building to fall and assign appropriate attributes – Table 7-6 in the latest TUFLOW Manual. https://www.tuflow.com/Downloads.aspx

Kind Regards,

Pavlina