TUFLOW Forum
dijero

memory issue on Tuflow

I have been trying to run an existing iSIS Tuflow model that functions perfectly elsewhere, but I get the error - "cannot allocate memory" Anyone else had this problem? Is it just my undersized computer? File attached.

I have been trying to run an existing iSIS Tuflow model that functions perfectly elsewhere, but I get the error - "cannot allocate memory" Anyone else had this problem? Is it just my undersized computer? File attached.

error messages 04.11.11.xls

Hi Diane

I have had that error when the computer has lost contact with the server where the data is stored/being written to. I've just closed the model files down and re-started it and seems to run ok.

Jenny

Diane,

I've had it twice so far using TUFLOW 2011 builds yet one of these modelled works fine with TUFLOW 2010 so it might be worth sending the model details to TUFLOW support. If in a hurry you could try reducing the cell size or extent of the model grid but this is probably not going to be an ideal solution.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Diane,

As the error is happening in the 2010 version I don't believe it is the same issue as Kevin is having. On that point, I'm not aware of the 2011 release requiring additional RAM compared with the 2010 release (however, additional features such as results tracking can mean that later builds may require more memory than the same model in earlier versions).

Are you able to provide some specifications for the computer you are running the model on, such as total memory and available memory? The memory available and current memory usage can be found in the windows task manager. The model requires ~900MB of RAM, which is well within the limits for a 32 bit system (provided that the memory is available and not being used by other processes). Additional files (such as zshapes) will require temporary RAM while they are being processed. If the same model is running on other machines I suspect that it might be the availability of memory, Windows, MapInfo, Firefox, other TUFLOW runs (and lots of other things) can all use significantly reduce the amount of memory available. You could also try after the computer has been rebooted and nothing else is running.

Cheers

Phillip

P.S. I merged the duplicate topics.

Hi Diane / Ryan,

I have the same issue runing 2010-10-AC and 2010-10-AF versions (32bit). I have tried Ryan's suggestion (running after rebooting the system with no other application running) and still doesn't work.

Diane have you managed to fix this error?

Ryan I have used this PC several time before to run TUFLOW and never had this issue. The current run is re-runing an old model which someone else has made 2 years ago. Is there any chance this error is related to the way the tcf file has been set up?

Regards,

Parshin

post-9179-0-59307100-1321236286_thumb.jp

Hi Parshin,

The amount of memory required is very dependant on the TUFLOW model that is being simulated. For example the TUFLOW tutorial model requires about 11MB of memory, but very large models may require more the 6GB (that's 6,000MB) per simulation. It is highly dependant on the number of cells.

How much memory, does the computer have? If you right click on the might computer icon and select properties, you should see how much memory the computer has. If you start the windows task manager (right click in the taskbar and select "Start Task Manager"), under the performance section you should see the amount of memory in use and available. See attached image.

It should not be dependant on the way the .tcf has been configured. Do you have an old log file (.tlf) for the model? If you open this and search for "memory" you should find a breakdown of the memory usage:

Extact from .tlf file:

Domain_001 : Allocating Memory Pointers:

Domain_001 : Grid data memory ............... 148 Mb

Domain_001 : Variable Z and Layered FC memory 0 Mb

Domain_001 : Sub-domain linking memory ...... 15 Mb

Domain_001 : Flow constrictions memory ...... 0 Mb

Domain_001 : Weirs and viscosity factor memory 46 Mb

Domain_001 : Pressure, wind and waves memory 0 Mb

Domain_001 : General Memory ................. 46 Mb

Domain_001 : Boundary conditions memory ..... 45 Mb

Domain_001 : Wind & waves boundary memory ... 0 Mb

Domain_001 : Work arrays memory ............. 342 Mb

Domain_001 : SMS High Res format memory ..... 0 Mb

Domain_001 : Plot output (PO) memory ........ 142 Mb

Domain_001 : Longitudinal output (LP) memory 0 Mb

Memory requested for 2D domain Domain_001 = 788 Mb

Total Memory requested thus far = 788 Mb

Has this changed significantly between the previous version and the current version?

As I mentioned in my last post, additional features in later versions of TUFLOW may require additional memory. For example the 2010-10 version tracks the maximum velocity at each timestep. In previous versions, the velocity was outputted at peak water levels. This requires additional memory to track this. This means that it is possible that a model than ran in a previous version of TUFLOW will now not be able to allocate enough RAM for a later TUFLOW build. However, the amount of memory requested by the model in the screengrab (1.3GB) is generally ok on a 32 bit system. We have found that issues start at ~1.8GB generally (provided the memory is installed in the machine!).

This is one of the benefits of the 64 bit version of TUFLOW as it can access more memory than a 32bit version (once again, provided the computer has the memory).

Cheers

Phillip

post-220-0-14177700-1321239985_thumb.jpg

Hi Phillip,

Below is the copied from the tlf file of the run with pre-mature exit:

Domain_001 : Grid data memory ............... 284 Mb

Domain_001 : Sub-domain linking memory ...... 29 Mb

Domain_001 : Flow constrictions memory ...... 104 Mb

Domain_001 : Weirs and viscosity factor memory 89 Mb

Domain_001 : General Memory ................. 89 Mb

Domain_001 : Boundary conditions memory ..... 30 Mb

Domain_001 : Work arrays memory ............. 658 Mb

Domain_001 : Plot output (PO) memory ........ 0 Mb

Memory requested for 2D domain Domain_001 = 1287 Mb

Total Memory requested thus far = 1288 Mb

The previous run tlf file looks very similar to this:

Domain_001 : Grid data memory ............... 284 Mb

Domain_001 : Sub-domain linking memory ...... 29 Mb

Domain_001 : Flow constrictions memory ...... 104 Mb

Domain_001 : Weirs and viscosity factor memory 89 Mb

Domain_001 : General Memory ................. 89 Mb

Domain_001 : Boundary conditions memory ..... 30 Mb

Domain_001 : Work arrays memory ............. 628 Mb

Domain_001 : Plot output (PO) memory ........ 0 Mb

Memory requested for 2D domain Domain_001 = 1258 Mb

Total Memory requested thus far = 1258 Mb

The only difference is in "Work arrays memory".

The PC has 3.25 GB of RAM and available is approx. 2.4 GB.

Do you think that 30 Mb increase in requested memory could cause this?

I have tested other model just now and they run through smoothly.

This model has not been changed at all. Actually, I was trying to do a test re-run of the old model, to make sure it's working, but this error came up.

Hi Parshin,

I would be surprised if the extra 30MB was enough to push it over the limit.

You could try adding the /3GB boot switch which is outlined in the following topic:

http://www.tuflow.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124

The process for enabling this is also detailed in Section 9.3 of the 2010 TUFLOW manual.

Let us know how you get on!

Regards

Phillip

Hi phillip,

I'll try adding 3GB boot switch, but I have fixed the issue by reducing Grid Size (X,Y) from (23300, 16000) to (20300, 16000). This is still covering the modelling boundary. I should mention this was suggested by my supervisor.

Thaks anyway,

Best Regards,

Parshin